by Edward Graf
Reprinted from Short Sketches on Passaic County History, 1935.
During the last half of the nineteenth century, several shops manufacturing pianos were established in Paterson. The first record of this industry in Paterson is told in the following advertisement in the weekly papers.
The subscriber respectfully informs his friends and the public in general, that he has commenced manufacturing Piano Fortes, in Main Street, opposite the Paterson Bank in the rear of Mr. James B. Cluss’ Cabinet Ware Room. Having employed experienced workmen, he flatters himself that he will be able to furnish patrons with Piano Fortes of a good tone and workmanship and as elegantly and substantially finished in every other respect as can be had elsewhere, at moderate prices. A specimen of his work may be seen by applying at this residence where he has two Piano Fortes of the finest styles just finished and for sale.
C. S. Van Wagoner
Paterson, Nov. 28, 1837